Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Parashas Yisro (Jethro/Ten Commandements)



We have traveled far in the last three Torah readings; from packing our bags within Egypt, crossing the Reed Sea and know encamped outside Mt. Sinai. We have heard the last of Jethro (father in-law to Moses) and now we must prepare for the wedding feast. Outside of the first passover and the crossing of the Reed Sea on dry ground, I would call the encounter at Sinai the ultimate climax, the covenant of Creator and create. We are commanded by HASHEM to take three days to prepare ourselves for the ceremony of our lives, the event many didn't attend. This reminds me of the parable Yeshua spoke about concerning the wedding feast. The King ordered His servants to go and gather those whom He wished to have attend, except those originally invited cared not to show up. The King gave another decree concerning others He cared to have attend and they did so. However there was one who did not dress appropriately and this one the King had removed. You nor I were there physically for the given of the Ten Words at Sinai, but we could certainly try to put ourselves in their shoes. Imagine the heartbeats of 1.5 million men, women and children, the anticipation and longing. We read about the dark thick cloud that covered Sinai, the trumpets that rang out and the voice of HASHEM which I have been told for a lack of words sounded like rushing waters. So loud in fact that our ancestors pulled back and left the shorthand to Moses. Exodus 20:15 - 16.

*A note I would like very much to share with you from my Chumash (Torah and commentary). When the Holy One, Blessed is He, presented the Torah at Sinai, not a bird chirped, not a fowl flew, not a ox lowed, not angel ascended, not a sereph proclaimed Holy. The sea did not roll and no creature made a sound. All of the vast universe was silent and mute. It was then that the Voice went forth and proclaimed, I am HASHEM, your God!

To be continued.

Shalom,
Rabbi Lawrence

OK I'm back.

Today we are faced the task if we so desire it, to overcome our physical needs while in this world. Last week we read in Parashas Beshalach Exodus chapter 14 how Moses was faced with the daunting task of having over 1.5 million Jews as well as others consisting of men, women and children to look after. HASHEM knew what He was doing when He chose Moses, after all He is God. I am a husband and a father, a brother and a son, an uncle and a friend and although I don't lead and support in the magnitude as Moses, I can still be challenged. Thank HASHEM that He doesn't give us anything we can't handle.

One man, one soul of both flesh and blood as you and me, yet, Moses was no ordinary man. He was special. He was chosen. He saw the Maker of heaven and earth face to face as no one man ever did. Called into the presence of The Mighty One, the God of all Israel. A man who laid down his life for a people who were stiff necked, a people, a job which no words could explain. Yes he laid down his life spiritually and physically to spare the very people who wanted nothing more then to go back to a land of slavery. if you remember Exodus chapter four, Moses attempted to pursue God to choose someone other then he. Moses went from being a man of heavy tongue to a man who's name is written in the book of life.

Most of us today are envious, jealous and troubled by what we don't have. We are too troubled with wanting what others have. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Moses to name a few knew God by His Name. HASHEM spoke to them not in dreams but face to face, rather it be He or an angel. That is what I desire! To be a righteous man, a light and a purity. I pray that we can all come together some day and put aside our differences while still being Torah observant and focus on God in unison and then maybe we can see the mightiness of His right arm.
Psalm: 81: 14 - 17
*IF Israel would heed My call,
If Israel would walk My way,
My hand would break the tyrant's might,
My hand would cause their foes to fall.

Their time on earth would then endure,
The godless hosts would yield to them,
A portion rich they would posses,
The finest wheat and honey pure.
________________________________

The Lord bless you and keep you,
The Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you,
The Lord lift up His countenance you and give you peace.

Shabbat Shalom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the message and can we discuss something that will help me out from our Bible Study at work? "Can we Loose our Salvation?". I'm sure my co-employee is lookin forward for this. Shalom. :)

Anonymous said...

Keep going.......I am ready for you to continue with the time the vast universe went silent and mute when our Creator passed the Torah at Sinai.

Gloria M.

Anonymous said...

I had contacted you in the past and I have been journeying. I was curious what your views are concerning what the Christians refer to as Hell, eternal torment.