Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Lech Lecha Genesis (part 2)

Welcome back to our discussion. No matter how often I read Lech Lecha, I'm able to squeeze something more from it. Maybe it's the promise of a new beginning, or perhaps I see myself in the land of Canaan looking Northward, Southward, Eastward and Westward. Canaan a land promised to Abram in verse 12: 6 was not a land in which no one else dwelled but a land occupied. When I read verse six it caused me to reflect on my situation and place, where I am now and where I'm going. HASHEM called Abram out in verse 1 to a place already occupied with a people, a people not worthy of such a calling, not one such as Torah. The importance behind HASHEM'S commandment for Lech Lecha was of great magnitude, and ties together in my mind the knowledge that God reproduces life continually. Meaning this. Someone with knowledge for gardening would tell you that you must prune your plants otherwise the dead branches will effect those with life, those bearing fruit. As a parent, one with genuine concern for the growth of a child, you consider the company with whom they spend their time. So too it is with HASHEM. The story of Abram is a unique one in that he heard from God four hundred plus years prior to the Revelation at Sinai. Not only did he hear from El Shaddai but he knew to search for God, he knew to ask and he knew to knock on heavens door. HASHEM responded. 17:2 - I am El Shaddai, Walk before and be perfect. If I am a descendent of Abraham, I too shall walk perfectly. Matthew 7: 7 - "Keep asking, and it will be given to you; keep seeking, and you will find; keep knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who keeps asking receives; he who keeps seeking finds; and to him who keeps knocking the door will be opened. The journey for Abraham begun some thirty eight hundred years ago and two thousand years after creation. Now two thousand years have passed since the first coming of Yeshua in the flesh and the dawning of prophecy concerning his arrival. Yeshua throughout his first coming healed many and his comment to them was always the same, sin no more or worse things will happen. HASHEM reveled Himself to our founding father and was commanded to walk upright and pursue righteousness, but not only for himself, but for his descendants. The commandment given to Abraham was a foreshadow for all who came after to be engulfed in this way of life, rather Jew or Gentile. sadly many of us have missed the mark. Blessed be his name who comes in the name of the Lord. Not only once but several times did HASHEM  appear before Abraham concerning the covenant. What I find fascinating is the cutting of the cattle and flock and how Abraham had the halves facing one another. Both HASHEM and Abraham walked through the center to consecrate the covenant, a reflection of two interring into marriage. 13:16 - I will make your off spring as the dust of the earth so that if one could count the dust of the earth, then your offspring, too, can be counted. When Abram was ninety nine-years old, HASHEM appeared to Abram and said to him, "I am El Shaddai; walk before Me and be perfect. I will set My covenant between Me and you, and I will increase you most exceedingly." 

Each and every time we read scripture it should be as though it's the first time. Take from it all that you can, bask in it, dive into it, hunger and thirst for it, for this is the Torah. The Torah is a Tree of Life to those who take hold of it, and those who do are praise worthy. It's ways are ways of pleasantness and all It's paths are peace. Bring us back to you Lord and we shall come, renew our days of old. Amen.

Shalom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the insight, it's very informative.

Shalom